Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Happy Halloween After All!

So Rhydon brought home a flu last week, and it's pretty much knocked us all out of commission, in turn. He was first, of course. Then Tristan, me, Mom, Kael, and finally Elizabeth. I kept hoping we would get better quickly, but it was not to be. The kids were SO sad that they couldn't go to the ward Halloween party, trunk-or-treating, or trick-or-treating. And we had their costumes planned and everything... so I thought, what can I do? I'm not sure how it came to me, but it occurred to me that trick-or-treating is just going door-to-door, and we have lots of doors in this house, and three people to help... So we trick-or-treated in the house!

So I dressed up the kids. Elizabeth was the Blue Fairy from Pinocchio. Doesn't she just LOOK the part? I think she loved wearing makeup best of all. I'm going to have quite a challenge on my hands when she grows up I think! Talk about beautiful!
I took the easy route with Tristan. We've had these jammas since Kael was that big. They even have a little cape that attaches with velcro at the shoulders, though I didn't do a great job getting a picture of that. Tristan was happy though. He's only 2!

Kael was Michaelangelo, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle! Mom made this costume 18 years ago for Rhydon! Rhydon wore it 3 years in a row, ages 3, 4, and 5. I thought it was great that Rhydon's namesake be wearing the same costume at the same age. We let Kael watch the first TMNT movie to get him excited about it. He pretty much thought it was the coolest costume EVER and wanted to wear it to bed. But it's not Potty friendly, so we had to say no. :)

We had our home teachers over earlier in the day to give blessings, and one of them came back with his wife, bringing plastic jack-o-lantern buckets full of goodies, so they were already off to a good start. Then we got some bags of candy from the store, and filled up a couple of big bowls. Then we all got behind a door, and had the kids trick-or-treat! Luckily, Elizabeth knew how, and was able to lead the others. They even said "thank you" unprompted!! They came away with quite a haul, and thought it was a great Halloween!
So while it looked a little bleak at first, I managed to pull off a fun and memorable Halloween anyway! I hope it turns into one of those memories the kids look back fondly on years down the road. I know I certainly will!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: