Tuesday, December 11, 2012

GFDF Enchilada Casserole

As many of you know, my children have some food sensitivities as do my new stepchildren.  It's quite entertaining telling people, actually.  You have how many children? And how many stepchildren? And your kids are gluten free and his are dairy free? And then come the accolades about how amazing I am for taking that on.  Like it's hard?  I was prepared for this day.  I lived with my parents and brother for a year and my mother has more food allergies and sensitivities than foods she can eat freely including but not limited to gluten and dairy products.  Cooking for her for that year enabled me to reach a certain level of proficiency with that kind of cooking to the point that I can make up GFDF versions of things without much trouble right off the cuff.  (It's a gift I attribute to my Dad and my Heavenly Father.)  Here is my latest creation.  Hope you like it! Personally, I didn't really miss the cheese or sour cream.

So without further ado, GFDF Enchilada Casserole!

16 GF corn tortillas (Mission makes them)
1 32-oz can enchilada sauce
1 15 oz can vegetarian refried beans
1 4-oz can diced green chiles
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 15-oz can medium black olives, sliced

Preheat oven to 350* F.  Lightly grease 13x9 baking pan.  Spoon 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce into bottom of pan and spread around.  Use 4 tortillas to cover the pan.  The arrangement I used had two whole ones in the middle, two halves along the long sides at the edge, and one quarter in each corner.  Spoon 1/3 of the beans onto the tortillas and spread around.  Add about 1/2 the diced green chiles. Add another layer of tortillas.  Spread 1/3 of the beans around, and top with 1/2 the olives and 1/2 the can of tomatoes.  Add another layer of tortillas.  Spread the remaining beans and top with the remaining ingredients.  Add one more layer of corn tortillas.  Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top, making sure to cover all the tortillas.  Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Serves about 10, but only if it's not the only thing you serve and we're talking "normal" portions, not teenage boy portions. :)

Make this and let me know how it worked for you!  Comment below!

Enjoy!

No comments: