Wednesday, July 2, 2014

It's Only One Night... Right?

Once a year, our nation celebrates its independence from Britain with days off from work, picnics and barbecues, red-white-and-blue themed EVERYTHING, and of course, FIREWORKS.






Oh, the magic and wonder of fireworks!  Bright bursts of color and sound bigger than life above our heads, and all the mini versions on the ground i.e. sparklers, poppers, etc.  How do they work? What makes the colors? Why are they so loud?

No really. WHY??

As a mother, I must confess, July 4th is quite possibly my least favorite holiday.  Personally, I love the fireworks. 

What I do not love is when they wake up my baby who is not yet fully capable of going back to sleep.  Or when they wake my preschooler who has a hard enough time going to sleep in the first place, and whom I just got to fall asleep by laying next to her.  Or when it keeps my school age kids up instead of sleeping like they so desperately need in order to not be grumpy all the next day.

Hold on there, mom, you may say.  It's only one night of the year. Chill out!

Oh yes, you're right.  It's only one night of the year.

Except it's not.

As I type this, I'm listening to a fireworks show at my neighbor's house.  Today is not the 4th of July.   It's the 2nd.

And this is not the first night there have been fireworks.  It's the third.

And there are two more days until the big day.

Oy. To. The. Vey.

To add to my joy and rejoicing, I live in Utah, where not only is July 4th celebrated with fireworks, but so is pioneer day, July 24th!  So of course, fireworks are on sale ALL MONTH!  And fireworks are set off ALL MONTH LONG!  Almost every night for an entire month?  What rapture is mine!







Fireworks are fun. Yes.  I'm likely being an old fuddy duddy feeling this way.  Just call me the Scrooge of Independence Day.

I can't be alone, can I?  Comment below about your feelings on this part of the celebrations.  Too many fireworks? Agree or Disagree?


No comments: