Thursday, October 16, 2014

Recipe: Tuna Quesadillas

Last night was one of those nights that I didn't feel like putting a lot of effort into making dinner, but I didn't have any freezer meals handy.  So I made this instead, and let me tell you, it was a hit!  The kids are talking about having it for lunch tomorrow, and they could totally make this on their own.

Storehouse peeps:  I confess I use tortillas in this recipe, and corn ones to be gluten-free.  A package of 200 only costs about $3, and to me, it is very much worth it.  It adds SO much to my recipe basics.  Dive in those couches for change, and go get some! You won't be sorry.

Tuna Quesadillas (GF)

4 cans of tuna, drained as well as possible
2-4 Tbsp sour cream (or salad dressing/mayo if that's your thing)
Salt and pepper
Opt. spices: Garlic powder, chili powder
Cheddar cheese slices
GF corn tortillas
Sour cream
Shredded lettuce

Start by mixing the drained tuna and a bit of sour cream together in a medium bowl.  You're looking for a relatively dry mixture, just enough sour cream to hold the tuna together.  Add whatever spices you might like.

Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium heat.  No need to add any grease if you use non-stick or cast iron.  Use your own experience to determine the necessity of fat with other pans.  When the pan is good and hot, add a tortilla, a couple slices cheese, and cover with some of the tuna mixture.  Let cook until the tortilla shrinks a bit, browns, and becomes crispy.  Add another tortilla on top and carefully flip over.  Cook until that side looks as yummy as the first.  Remove from pan, get another one started, then use a knife or pizza cutter to cut quesadilla into quarters.  Serve immediately with sour cream and shredded lettuce on the side (or on top!).

Bon appetit!

Have you put anything unconventional in your quesadillas? Did it turn out well?

1 comment:

Marc and Liz Anson said...

My kiddos like Pb, sliced bananas. & sometimes I will add a few chocolate chips. They dissapear as fast as I can make them.